Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Access Service Coordinator Patient Registration - 199040 - Admitting/ER - Tradition
at Martin Health
199040 - Admitting/ER - Tradition
I. Basic Purpose:
Interviews patients to gather demographic and financial data. Establishes a patient record and medical record number if necessary. Provides information relative to Advanced Beneficiary Notices, Patient rights and benefit assignments. Is knowledgeable of compliance policies and requirements. Demonstrates the ability to solve problems/issues independently. Obtains certification and referrals from insurance companies as required. Analyze patient's financial responsibilities and attempts to collect at time of service. Provides these services in a manner that consistently exceeds the expectations of the customers we serve. Maintain customer confidentiality at all times.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Process registration and pre-registrations on all patient types utilizing the patient's social security number. Obtains/enters complete and accurate demographic/financial/clinical information in an expedient manner. If necessary, establishes patient medical record number to minimize the medical risk to patients. Obtains necessary signatures from patients or guardians authorizing treatment.
4. Demonstrates an understanding of insurance billing. Determines/requests/collects self pay balances due and/or completes appropriate financial forms when patients are unable to meet the requirements.
5. Demonstrates a clear understanding of Compliance issues and Medicare medical necessity. Accurately screens all applicable Medicare tests for complete orders and screening the diagnosis for medical necessity. Completes an Advanced Beneficiary Notice (ABN) for failed tests and explains the financial responsibility to the patient. Reviews Medicare Secondary Payor (MSP) queries to determine payor for Medicare and Medicare HMO patients.
6. Responsible for analysis of physician written order. Ensures order is complete and legible. Completes medical necessity checking on all physician orders. Communicates with physician and patients regarding written order whenever necessary.
7. Accurately assembles, maintains and distributes patient's charts to appropriate department. Maintain department records, reports and files as required.
8. Contacts physician offices for diagnosis if necessary. Contacts physician offices/insurance companies for benefits/authorizations and documents outcome in the system.
9. Provides appropriates forms to billing and other departments.
10. Responsible for maintaining admission cash drawer and completing the deposit at the end of the workday.
11. Demonstrates outstanding customer service in all interactions with internal and external customers. Recognizes patients who need to be registered on a priority basis. Responds to patient problems, complaints and inquiries. Ensures all complaints are resolved or referred to appropriate personnel. Communicates clearly and concisely with all levels of individuals while complying with confidentiality criteria. Demonstrates ability to understand and explain department and hospital policies and procedures.
12. Identifies process improvement opportunities and actively participates in improvement plans. Promotes the team concept with coworkers by addressing issues in a constructive/proactive manner.
13. Attend all departmental meeting as required. Attends all Admitting in-services and educational seminars as required. Maintains passing score on annual Access competency assessment.
14. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
15. Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements:
> High school graduate or equivalent, and have a minimum of two years' experience in a healthcare/medical office environment.
> Must successfully pass: MHS Medical Terminology test, Customer Service and Data Entry tests. Must score a minimum 35 wpm on typing test.
> Must obtain passing (90% or better) score on Medicare Fraud & Abuse test during 90-day probationary period. Must maintain passing (80% or better) score on annual departmental Access competency assessment.
Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of associates, patients, families, physicians and general public. Excellent customer service skills required.